On Tuesday, March 7, 2023 9:47 PM Önder Kalacı <onderkal...@gmail.com>  wrote:

Hi,

> > > Let me give an example to demonstrate why I thought something is fishy
> > > here:
> > >
> > > Imagine rel has a (non-default) REPLICA IDENTITY with Oid=1111.
> > > Imagine the same rel has a PRIMARY KEY with Oid=2222.
> > >

> Hmm, alright, this is syntactically possible, but not sure if any user
> would do this. Still thanks for catching this.
>
> And, you are right, if a user has created such a schema,
> IdxIsRelationIdentityOrPK()
> would return the wrong result and we'd use sequential scan instead of index
> scan.
> This would be a regression. I think we should change the function.

I am looking at the latest patch and have a question about the following code.

        /* Try to find the tuple */
-       if (index_getnext_slot(scan, ForwardScanDirection, outslot))
+       while (index_getnext_slot(scan, ForwardScanDirection, outslot))
        {
-               found = true;
+               /*
+                * Avoid expensive equality check if the index is primary key or
+                * replica identity index.
+                */
+               if (!idxIsRelationIdentityOrPK)
+               {
+                       if (eq == NULL)
+                       {
+#ifdef USE_ASSERT_CHECKING
+                               /* apply assertions only once for the input
idxoid */
+                               IndexInfo  *indexInfo = BuildIndexInfo(idxrel);
+
Assert(IsIndexUsableForReplicaIdentityFull(indexInfo));
+#endif
+
+                               /*
+                                * We only need to allocate once. This is
allocated within per
+                                * tuple context -- ApplyMessageContext --
hence no need to
+                                * explicitly pfree().
+                                */
+                               eq = palloc0(sizeof(*eq) *
outslot->tts_tupleDescriptor->natts);
+                       }
+
+                       if (!tuples_equal(outslot, searchslot, eq))
+                               continue;
+               }

IIRC, it invokes tuples_equal for all cases unless we are using replica
identity key or primary key to scan. But there seem some other cases where the
tuples_equal looks unnecessary.

For example, if the table on subscriber don't have a PK or RI key but have a
not-null, non-deferrable, unique key. And if the apply worker choose this index
to do the scan, it seems we can skip the tuples_equal as well.

--Example
pub:
CREATE TABLE test_replica_id_full (a int, b int not null);
ALTER TABLE test_replica_id_full REPLICA IDENTITY FULL;
CREATE PUBLICATION tap_pub_rep_full FOR TABLE test_replica_id_full;

sub:
CREATE TABLE test_replica_id_full (a int, b int not null);
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX test_replica_id_full_idx ON test_replica_id_full(b);
--

I am not 100% sure if it's worth optimizing this by complicating the check in
idxIsRelationIdentityOrPK. What do you think ?

Best Regards,
Hou zj