So I am in the process of reviewing the patch and hopefully can provide
something there soon.

However I want to address in the mean time the question of timestamp functions.
 I know that is outside the scope of this patch but I would be in favor of
adding them generally, not just as an extension but eventually into core.  I
understand (and generally agree with) the logic of not generally extracting
timestamps from UUIDs or other such field,s but there are cases where it is
really, really helpful to be able to do.  In particular when you are
troubleshooting misbehavior, all information you can get is helpful.  And so
extracting all of the subfields can be helpful.

The problem with putting this in an extension is that this is mostly useful
when debugging systems (particularly larger distributed systems) and so the
chances of it hitting a critical mass enough to be supported by all major cloud
vendors is effectively zero.

So I am not asking for this to be included in this patch but I am saying I
would love to see these sort of things contributed at some point to core.