https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/87efhuz9be.fsf%40news-spur.riddles.org.uk

  Matthew> The .editorconfig format also supports a
  Matthew> trim_trailing_whitespace option (see https://editorconfig.org/
  Matthew> ).

Yes. I was actually planning to ask if any .editorconfig users (of which
I'm not one - my only use for it is to improve display output on github)
would like to contribute the most useful content for such a file.

I'm not one either (yet!) but it seems to me like something worth doing. It seems to support an impressively large number of editors and display mechanisms, and adding a single small file to support it doesn't seem onerous.

cheers

andrew