On 2023-12-13 We 15:59, Tristan Partin wrote:

On 2023-12-12 Tu 18:02, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Tristan Partin" <tris...@neon.tech> writes:
>> The big patch here is adding support for Mac. objdump -W doesn't work on
>> Mac. So, I used dsymutil and dwarfdump to achieve the same result.
> We should probably nuke the current version of src/tools/find_typedef
> altogether in favor of copying the current buildfarm code for that.
> We know that the buildfarm's version works, whereas I'm not real sure
> that src/tools/find_typedef is being used in anger by anyone.  Also,
> we're long past the point where developers can avoid having Perl
> installed.
>
> Ideally, the buildfarm client would then start to use find_typedef
> from the tree rather than have its own copy, both to reduce
> duplication and to ensure that the in-tree copy keeps working.

+1. I'd be more than happy to be rid of maintaining the code. We already performed a rather more complicated operation along these lines with the PostgreSQL::Test::AdjustUpgrade stuff.

I'll work with you on GitHub to help make the transition. I've already made a draft PR in the client-code repo, but I am sure I am missing some stuff.

I think we're putting the cart before the horse here. I think we need a perl module in core that can be loaded by the buildfarm code,  and could also be used by a standalone find_typedef (c.f. src/test/PostgreSQL/Test/AdjustUpgrade.pm). To be useful that would have to be backported.

I'll have a go at that.

cheers

andrew

--