On Thu, Feb 1, 2024 at 7:24 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> At Thu, 01 Feb 2024 10:49:57 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <
> horikyota....@gmail.com> wrote in
> > By the way, while playing with this feature, I noticed the following
> > error message:
> >
> > > select jsonb_path_query('1.1' , '$.boolean()');
> > > ERROR:  numeric argument of jsonpath item method .boolean() is out of
> range for type boolean
> >
> > The error message seems a bit off to me. For example, "argument '1.1'
> > is invalid for type [bB]oolean" seems more appropriate for this
> > specific issue. (I'm not ceratin about our policy on the spelling of
> > Boolean..)
>
> Or, following our general convention, it would be spelled as:
>
> 'invalid argument for type Boolean: "1.1"'

jsonpath way:

ERROR:  argument of jsonpath item method .boolean() is invalid for type
boolean

or, if we add input value, then

ERROR:  argument "1.1" of jsonpath item method .boolean() is invalid for
type boolean

And this should work for all the error types, like out of range, not valid,
invalid input, etc, etc. Also, we don't need separate error messages for
string input as well, which currently has the following form:

"string argument of jsonpath item method .%s() is not a valid
representation.."

Thanks

--
Jeevan Chalke