Tomas Vondra <tomas.von...@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> On 5/20/24 16:16, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Sun, May 19, 2024 at 3:18 PM Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> * Before starting this thread, Robert did a lot of very valuable
>>> review of some individual patches.  I think what prompted him to
>>> start the thread was the realization that he'd only made a small
>>> dent in the problem.  Maybe we could divide and conquer: get a
>>> dozen-or-so senior contributors to split up the list of pending
>>> patches and then look at each one with an eye to what needs to
>>> happen to move it along (*not* to commit it right away, although
>>> in some cases maybe that's the thing to do).  It'd be great if
>>> that could happen just before each commitfest, but that's probably
>>> not practical with the current patch volume.  What I'm thinking
>>> for the moment is to try to make that happen once a year or so.

>> I like this idea.

> Me too. Do you think it'd happen throughout the whole year, or at some
> particular moment?

I was imagining a focused community effort spanning a few days to
a week.  It seems more likely to actually happen if we attack it
that way than if it's spread out as something people will do when
they get around to it.  Of course the downside is finding a week
when everybody is available.

> We used to do a "triage" at the FOSDEM PGDay meeting, but that used to
> be more of an ad hoc thing to use the remaining time, with only a small
> subset of people. But that seems pretty late in the dev cycle, I guess
> we'd want it to happen early, perhaps during the first CF?

Yeah, early in the cycle seems more useful, although the summer might
be the worst time for peoples' availability.

                        regards, tom lane