Tomas Vondra <tomas.von...@enterprisedb.com> writes:

> I think meeting all these conditions - a week early in the cycle, but
> not in the summer, when everyone can focus on this - will be difficult.

True.  Perhaps in the fall there'd be a better chance?

> So maybe it'd be better to just set some deadline by which this needs to
> be done, and make sure every pending patch has someone expected to look
> at it? IMHO we're not in position to assign stuff to people, so I guess
> people would just volunteer anyway - the CF app might track this.

One problem with a time-extended process is that the set of CF entries
is not static, so a predetermined division of labor will result in
missing some newly-arrived entries.  Maybe that's not a problem
though; anything newly-arrived is by definition not "stuck".  But we
would definitely need some support for keeping track of what's been
looked at and what remains, whereas if it happens over just a few
days that's probably not so essential.

> It's not entirely clear to me if this would effectively mean doing a
> regular review of those patches, or something less time consuming.

I was *not* proposing doing a regular review, unless of course
somebody really wants to do that.  What I am thinking about is
suggesting how to make progress on patches that are stuck, or in some
cases delivering the bad news that this patch seems unlikely to ever
get accepted and it's time to cut our losses.  (Patches that seem to
be moving along in good order probably don't need any attention in
this process, beyond determining that that's the case.)  That's why
I think we need some senior people doing this, as their opinions are
more likely to be taken seriously.

                        regards, tom lane