Greetings,

* Tom Lane (t...@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> I think that the right basic idea is to have a GUC that chooses between
> the two implementations, but whether it can be set automatically is not
> clear to me.  Can initdb perhaps investigate what kind of filesystem the
> WAL directory is sitting on, and set the default value from hard-wired
> knowledge about that?

Maybe..  but I think we'd still need a way to change it because people
often start with their database system minimally configured (including
having WAL in the default location of the data directory) and only later
realize that was a bad idea and change it later.  I wouldn't be at all
surprised if that "change it later" meant moving it to a different
filesystem, and having to re-initdb to take advantage of that would be
particularly unfriendly.

Thanks!

Stephen