There have been quite a few comments since last week, so at this point I am
uncertain how to proceed with this change. I don't think I saw anything
concrete in the recent emails that I can act upon.

I would like to respond to the comment about trying to "self-tune" the
behavior based on inferences made about caching during setup. I can't speak
for many other filesystems, but for ZFS, the ARC size is not fixed and will
vary based on the memory demands against the machine. Also, what files are
cached will vary based upon the workloads running on the machine. Thus, I
do not think there is a valid way to make inferences about future caching
behavior based upon a point-in-time observation.

I am still happy to update the man pages to explain the new tunable better
if that is acceptable.

Thanks,
Jerry