On 08/28/2018 06:05 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Stephen Frost <sfr...@snowman.net> writes:
I wonder- what if we had an option to pg_dump to explicitly tell it what
the server's version is and then have TAP tests to run with different
versions?
Uh ... telling it what the version is doesn't make that true, so I'd
have no confidence in a test^H^H^H^Hkluge done that way.  The way
to test is to point it at an *actual* back-branch server.

Andrew has a buildfarm module that does precisely that, although
I'm not sure what its test dataset is --- probably the regression
database from each branch.  I also have a habit of doing such testing
manually whenever I touch version-sensitive parts of pg_dump.

It's all the databases from a buildfarm run apart from TAP tests. Since it uses USE_MODULE_DB=1 it covers most of the contrib modules plus the standard regression db, as well as isolation test and pl_regression (which should be taught to do separate DBs for each PL if requested).

There is no reason it couldn't test more.

Dunno about the idea of running the pg_dump TAP tests against back
branches.  I find that code sufficiently unreadable that maintaining
several more copies of it doesn't sound like fun at all.

Agreed. The code could do with a lot of comments. I recently looked at adding something to it and decided I had more pressing things to do.

cheers

andrew