On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 8:51 AM David Steele <da...@pgmasters.net> wrote:
> On 8/29/18 5:14 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > On 29/08/2018 12:13, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> Here is a patch to change some struct initializations to use C99-style
> >> designated initializers.  These are just a few particularly egregious
> >> cases that were hard to read and write, and error prone because of many
> >> similar adjacent types.
> >>
> >> (The PL/Python changes currently don't compile with Python 3 because of
> >> the situation described in the parallel thread "PL/Python: Remove use of
> >> simple slicing API".)
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
>
> +1.  This is an incredible win for readability/maintainability.

+1.  Much nicer.

I know several people have the goal of being able to compile
PostgreSQL as C and C++, and this syntax is not in the C++ standard.
Happily, popular compilers seem OK with, and it's already been voted
into the draft for C++20.  So no problem on that front.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com