On 09/14/2018 06:59 AM, Robert Eckhardt wrote:

I really have to object to this addition:
"This Code is meant to cover all interaction between community members,
whether or not it takes place within postgresql.org <http://postgresql.org>
infrastructure, so long as there is not another Code of Conduct that takes
precedence (such as a conference's Code of Conduct)."

I second that objection. It is not in PGDG's remit to cure the world, for
whatever form of cure you ascribe to. This is especially true as 'community
member' has no strict definition.
I understand the concern, however, if you look at how attacks happen
it is frequently through other sites. Specifically under/poorly
moderated sites. For specific examples, people who have issues with
people on Quora will frequently go after them on Facebook and Twitter.

Yes but are we to be the School Principal for the world?

these aren't a solution looking for a problem. If we just want to look
at the clusterfuck that is happening in the reddis community right now
we can see conversations spilling onto twitter and into ad hominem
vitriol.

Sure and that is unfortunate but isn't it up to the individual to deal with it through appropriate channels for whatever platform they are on? All of these platforms are:

1. Voluntary to use
2. Have their own Terms of Use and complaint departments
3. If it is abuse there are laws

I agree that within Postgresql.org we must have a professional code of conduct but the idea that an arbitrary committee appointed by an unelected board can decide the fate of a community member based on actions outside of the community is a bit authoritarian don't you think?

JD

***  A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is.  ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****