Hi,

On Wed, 30 Sept 2026 at 06:32, Michael Paquier <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 05:44:16AM +0530, Ayush Tiwari wrote:
> > I think that argues for the smaller fix, at least on the back branches.
> > I'd tried the diff below[1] before clearing FatalError: it SIGQUITs the new
> > children on smart/fast shutdown, without changing the crash-restart
> > behavior. It fixed my repro on 46024c573bc, though it logs an abnormal
> > shutdown.
>
> Yeah, I can see that, due to this part I think because the FatalError
> flag would be set?  Quoting the relevant part from postmaster.c:
>     if (Shutdown > NoShutdown && pmState == PM_NO_CHILDREN)
>     {
>         if (FatalError)
>         {
>             ereport(LOG, (errmsg("abnormal database system shutdown")));
>             ExitPostmaster(1);
>         }
>         else
>         {
>             /*
>              * Normal exit from the postmaster is here.  We don't need to log
>              * anything here, since the UnlinkLockFiles proc_exit callback
>              * will do so, and that should be the last user-visible action.
>              */
>             ExitPostmaster(0);
>         }
>     }
>
> So that just feels, err, okay-ish, because the logs reflect what we
> are actually doing?
>
> So plugging in an extra HandleFatalError() while the pmState is
> PM_STOP_BACKENDS feels like a good compromise, on top of my mind.  It
> would mean that your too-early-shutdown request on crash recovery
> would still persist on v17 and older branches, but at least the
> checkpointer and the I/O workers would be able to understand that they
> need to stop, and the SIGQUIT sent would be promoted to a SIGKILL
> after the AbortStartTime timeout is armed.

Thanks, I've gone back to the smaller fix in v2 (attached), leaving the
FatalError reset where it was.

> I was slightly on the edge about your TAP test and its fancy restore
> command, but I don't want to leave that untested, either [...]

I've kept the helper, but now wait for the new checkpointer to install its
signal handlers. The helper gets more time too.

> Perhaps only do that on HEAD first, let it brew for a bit, and consider
> it down later on if really necessary?

You have a better feel for the backpatch risk here, so I'll defer to you..

Regards,
Ayush

Attachment: v2-0001-Fix-shutdown-during-crash-restart.patch
Description: Binary data

Reply via email to