On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 5:43 AM Joshua Yanovski
<joshua.yanov...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is only a personal anecdote, but from my own experience with
> serializability, this sort of blind update isn't often contended in realistic
> workloads.

> So, if this only affects transactions with blind updates, I doubt it will
> cause much pain in real workloads (even though it might look bad in
> benchmarks which include a mix of blind writes and rmw operations).
> Particularly if it only happens if you explicitly opt into zheap storage.

I agree with all of that, but will be very interested in what
failures, if any, kick out from the "isolation" test set when all
tables are created using zheap.  I added all the common failure
patterns I had seen to that set, and other have filled in some corner
cases I missed since then, so if everything there passes I would not
worry about it at all.  If we do see some failures, we can take
another look to see whether any action is needed.

--
Kevin Grittner
VMware vCenter Server