On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 at 14:33, Amit Langote
<langote_amit...@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> PG 11 moved the needle a bit for SELECT queries:
>
> Excluding unnecessary partitions is slow for UPDATE and DELETE queries,

With those words I expect the user might be surprised that it's still
slow after doing SET enable_partition_pruning = off;

I'm not really talking about constraint exclusion or partition
pruning. The memory growth problem the user was experiencing was down
to the fact that we plan once per partition and each of the
PlannerInfos used for each planner run has a RangeTblEntry for all
partitions. This means if you add one more partition and you get N
partitions more RangeTblEntry items in memory. This is the quadratic
memory growth that I mentioned in the -general post.