On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 10:41 PM Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> There was some discussion of that upthread, and Peter argued that many
> patches only need one OID anyway so why try harder.  I'm not totally
> sure I buy that --- my sense is that even simple patches tend to add
> several related functions not just one.

That has been my experience, but it turns out that that was colored by
the areas that I work in. I reviewed the history of pg_proc.dat today,
and found that adding multiple entries at a time is more common that I
thought it was.

> But as long as the script
> tells you how many OIDs are available, what's the problem?  Just run
> it again if you want a different suggestion, or make your own choice.

Right. Besides, adding something along the lines Michael described
necessitates fixing the problems that it creates. We'll run out of
blocks of 5 contiguous OIDs (or whatever) far sooner than we'll run
out of single OIDs. Now we have to worry about doing a second
(actually a third) pass over the OIDs as a fallback when that happens.
And so on.

--
Peter Geoghegan