On 16 October 2019 12:57:03 CEST, Amit Kapila <amit.kapil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 7:13 PM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinn...@iki.fi>
>wrote:
>> All things
>> considered, I'm not sure which is better.
>
>Yeah, this is a tough call to make, but if we can allow it to delete
>the pages in bulkdelete conditionally for parallel vacuum workers,
>then it would be better.

Yeah, if it's needed for parallel vacuum, maybe that tips the scale.

Hopefully, multi-pass vacuums are rare in practice. And we should lift the
current 1 GB limit on the dead TID array, replacing it with something more
compact and expandable, to make multi-pass vacuums even more rare. So I don't
think we need to jump through many hoops to optimize the multi-pass case.

- Heikki