On 2020/03/23 23:55, Robert Haas wrote:
On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 10:36 AM Fujii Masao
<masao.fu...@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
If we would like to have the promotion method to finish recovery
immediately, IMO we should implement something like
"pg_ctl promote -m fast". That is, we need to add new method into
the promotion.

I think 'immediate' would be a better choice. One reason is that we've
used the term 'fast promotion' in the past for a different feature.
Another is that 'immediate' might sound slightly scary to people who
are familiar with what 'pg_ctl stop -mimmediate' does. And you want
people doing this to be just a little bit scared: not too scared, but
a little scared.

+1

When I proposed the feature five years before, I used "immediate"
as the option value.
https://postgr.es/m/cahgqgwhtvydqkzaywya9zyylecakif5p0kpcpune_tsrgtf...@mail.gmail.com

Fujii Masao
NTT DATA CORPORATION