On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 12:03:42PM +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 11:33:32PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I don't know what to say.  So here is a summary of the complaints that I'm
> aware of:
>
> -
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1953aec168224b95b0c962a622bef0794da6ff40.ca...@moonset.ru
> That was only a couple of days after the commit just before the feature
> freeze,
> so it may be the less relevant complaint.
>
> -
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAOxo6XJEYunL71g0yD-zRzNRRqBG0Ssw-ARygy5pGRdSjK5YLQ%40mail.gmail.com
> Did a git bisect to find the commit that changed the behavior and somehow
> didn't notice the new setting
>
> - this thread, with Fuji-san saying:
>
> > I'm afraid that users may easily forget to enable compute_query_id when
> > using
> > pg_stat_statements (because this setting was not necessary in v13 or before)
>
> - this thread, with Peter E. saying:
>
> > Now there is the additional burden of turning on this weird setting that
> > no one understands.  That's a 50% increase in burden.  And almost no one
> > will
> > want to use a nondefault setting.  pg_stat_statements is pretty popular.  I
> > think leaving in this requirement will lead to widespread confusion and
> > complaints.
>
> - this thread, with Pavel saying:
>
> > Until now, the pg_stat_statements was zero-config. So the change is not user
> > friendly.
>
> So it's a mix of "it's changing something that didn't change in a long time"
> and "it's adding extra footgun and/or burden as it's not doing by default what
> the majority of users will want", with an overwhelming majority of people
> supporting the "we don't want that extra burden".

Well, now that we have clear warnings when it is misconfigured,
especially when querying the pg_stat_statements view, are these
complaints still valid?   Also, how is modifying
shared_preload_libraries zero-config, but modifying
shared_preload_libraries and compute_query_id a huge burden?

I am personally not comfortable committing a patch to add an auto option
the way it is implemented, so another committer will need to take
ownership of this, or the entire feature can be removed.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <br...@momjian.us>        https://momjian.us