On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 11:35:13PM +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 10:41:43AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > Well, now that we have clear warnings when it is misconfigured,
> > especially when querying the pg_stat_statements view, are these
> > complaints still valid?
>
> I'm personally fine with it, and I can send a new version with just the
> warning when calling pg_stat_statements() or one of the view(s).  Or was there
> other warnings that you were referring too?

No, that was the big fix that made misconfiguration very clear to users
who didn't see the change before.

> > I am personally not comfortable committing a patch to add an auto option
> > the way it is implemented, so another committer will need to take
> > ownership of this, or the entire feature can be removed.
>
> That's fair.  Just to be clear, I'm assuming that you also don't like
> Horigushi-san approach either?

Uh, anything with 'auto', I don't like.  I am afraid if I commit it, I
would feel responsible for the long tail of confusion this will cause
users, which is why I was saying I would rather remove it than be
responsible for causing such confusion.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <br...@momjian.us>        https://momjian.us