    >> Well, arguably if you're setting up a database server then a
    >> reasonable DBA should think about such things...

    Bruce> Yes, but people have trouble installing PostgreSQL.  I
    Bruce> can't imagine walking them through a newfs.

In most of linux-land, the DBA is probably also the sysadmin.  In
bigger shops, and those which currently run, say Oracle or Sybase, the
two roles are separate.  When they are separate, you don't have to
walk the DBA through it; he just walks over to the sysadmin and says
"I need X megabytes of space on a new Y filesystem."

roland
--
                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                     76-15 113th Street, Apt 3B

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster