On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 11:58 +0530, Gokulakannan Somasundaram wrote:

>         The idea was to write a syncpoint every N seconds where we
>         record the
>         time and a snapshot of what's in progress.
>
> What exactly is getting recorded here? Will the Syncpoint be similar
> to the Undo Log at distinct intervals?

Postgres needs to record the snapshot to allow visibility checks. There
is no Undo log; the database records themselves represent the logical
equivalent of an Undo log in other databases.

But as I said, I'm not working on this, so I'm not going into detailed
design anytime soon.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com