Hi,

Gokulakannan Somasundaram wrote:

On Jan 5, 2008 6:15 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    One thought I had back then, with partitioned tables was "gee -- B-tree
    index is already doing a partition; why do a manual partition on top of
    that?".

Can you please explain more on what you are trying to say here?

I think this has to do with SE not being of much use for index scans. Or put it another way: SE is an optimization for sequential scans. For tables where it works well, it could possibly replace the index entirely.

Without the index, you would rely on SE to always be able to exclude enough segments, so that the seq scan is less expensive than an index scan with the following table lookups.

With an index, the planner gets a hard time deciding between the index scan and the (possibly SE optimized) seq scan.

Regards

Markus

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate