Ivan Voras wrote:

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 07:32:35PM +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
[...]
Or you could use an hstore (see contrib).
Doesn't seem applicable.
Have a closer look: it might :-)

I found these documents on hstore:

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/hstore.html
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/wiki/Hstore

>From them, it seems "hstore" is another datatype (as in:
'a=>b'::hstore), which sounds good (though if it was me I'd have
picked a different name for it, like "dict" or "hashmap" :) ) for
storing both field names and their values, but I don't see a way to
convert a row/record passed to a trigger to a hstore.

It's trivial to do in a plperl trigger, since it gets the new and old records as hashes with the field names as keys.

cheers

andrew

              http://archives.postgresql.org