Russell Smith wrote:
The 2004 thread suggests that we want a per database setting. I am unable to see how we share shared relations between databases with different case folder.

pg_user is an example of this;

Lowercase database; CREATE ROLE mrruss LOGIN; results in -> mrruss as data in pg_user Uppercase database; CREATE ROLE mrruss LOGIN; resutls in -> MRRUSS as data in pg_user

Now both of those can be accessed from any database. And you will get a different user based on the source database.

You could use a setting, in, say, the control file, for the global tables. IIRC there are only three such tables.

Overall, I'd like to concentrate on the implementation as I'm a beginner.

I'm not sure this is a very good project for a beginner - but that's your choice.

But I see this being mainly a problem with nailing down the actual requirement for the implementation. So I'll try to start the discussion to allow me or somebody else to eventually develop a patch for this.

The first question is, are all the requirements of the 2004 thread still true now?

Setting case folder at initdb time seems the easiest method but I'm not sure if that's what people want. Any GUC variables seem to play havoc with the pg_catalog schema and the data in the catalogs.

Ideas and comments?

Just getting to standard compliance will satisfy some, but I suspect not many. What a lot of people want is case sensitivity, with no folding. I think you need to look at that as an option.

cheers

andrew

-