On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Gurjeet Singh wrote:

This project doesn't make functional changes to stable releases, that's the reason why 8.2 will never get patched to add the %r feature.
I completely understand that, but still was hoping that we'd change that.

Well, then you really don't understand this at all then, so let's work on that for a bit. http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning is the official statement, perhaps some examples will help clarify where and why the line is where it is.

One of the first patches I ever submitted made a minor change to a contrib utility used solely for benchmarking (pgbench) that added a useful feature, only if you passed it the right parameter. That was considered for a tiny bit before being rejected as a feature change too large to put into a stable branch.

That was a small change in a utility that should never be run on a production system. You're trying to get a change made to the code path people rely on for their *backups*. Good luck with that.

The parable I enjoy pulling out in support of this policy is MySQL bug #31001:

http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2007/10/04/mysql-quality-of-old-and-new-features/

where they added a seemingly minor optimization to something and accidentally broke the ability to sort in some cases. There's always a small risk that comes with any code change, and this is why you don't ever touch working production code unless you're fixing a bug that's more troublesome than that risk.

--
* Greg Smith [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD