Tom Lane wrote:
There is clearly work that could/should be done to improve it, such
as having better system support for packages or modules or whatever
you want to call them; and maybe we also need some marketing-type
work to encourage people such as hosting companies to allow access
to non-core packages.

Funny you should mention that. I was just thinking the other day that I needed to re-raise the question of getting rid of contrib, which has long been a horrible misnomer, and calling its contents "The PostgreSQL Standard Modules". Maybe we could rename the directory "modules". IIRC that was the consensus name last time this topic was discussed.

We've already vastly improved their usefulness by adding documentation. Let's take the next jump and start advertising them as exemplars of our extensibility.

cheers

andrew