On Mon, 2 Jun 2008, Jignesh K. Shah wrote:

Most people I have seen will increase one or few but not all parameters related to memory which can result in loss of performance and productivity in figuring out.

If it becomes easier to build a simple tool available to help people tune their configurations, that should help here without having to do anything more complicated than that.

What happened to AvailRAM setting and base all memory gucs on that.

Like some of the other GUC simplification ideas that show up sometimes (unifying all I/O and limiting background processes based on that total is another), this is hard to do internally. Josh's proposal has a fair amount of work involved, but the code itself doesn't need to be clever or too intrusive. Unifying all the memory settings would require being both clever and intrusive, and I doubt you'll find anybody who could pull it off who isn't already overtasked with more important improvements for the 8.4 timeframe.

--
* Greg Smith [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD