On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 12:06:08PM -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> I guess that'd be the reason to keep it on pgFoundry, but I have two
> comments:
>
> * 2-3 years is a *long* time in Internet time.

There have been patches over the years, but they tend not to get looked
at. Recently someone pulled up the COLLATE patch from a couple of years
ago but it didn't get much feedback either. (I can't find the link
right now).

It's disappointing that the discussions get hung up on the ICU library
when it's not required or even needed for COLLATE support. My original
patch never even mentioned it.

I note that Firebird added COLLATE using ICU a few years back now. I
think PostgreSQL is the only large DBMS to not support it.

> * There is on guarantee that it will be finished in that time or,
> indeed ever (no disrespect to Radek Strnad, it's just there are always
> unforeseen issues).

I think that with concerted coding effort it could be done in 2-3
months (judging by how long it took to write the first version). The
problem is it needs some planner kung-fu which not many people have.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   http://svana.org/kleptog/