Robert Treat escreveu:
On Saturday 09 August 2008 21:31:28 Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:
Hi,

After the Magnus patch [1], that make it possible store statistics files
at another (RAM-based) disk, I was thinking that would be useful to add
an option at initdb time to do the symlink as we already do with xlog.
Maybe it could be documented in monitoring.sgml too. Comments?

[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-08/msg00176.php

I find Magnus's approach to be admin un-friendly, and your patch a re-enforcement of that feeling. Forcing people to fall back on the OS tools (which may not be terribly good on systems like win32) when we could provide a consistent way for postgres to handle this itself seems backwards. I believe this would be much simpler for DBA's if we simply give them a GUC for stat file location, and allow them to set the location that way. Ideally this could be done as PGC_SIGHUP, and a change to the location would move the file "on-the-fly" as they say. (There might be practical limitation to making that work, but it would certainly be simpler for admins, imho)

How many times will you change the pg_stat_tmp directory? IMHO it is something that we don't frequently change. I agree that GUC is a DBA-friendly-option but we have to deal with (i) stop stats collector (ii) remove the old contents? (iii) start it at another location. I'm not saying that is _so_ difficult to do but I could live with pg_stat_tmp symlink option.

--
  Euler Taveira de Oliveira
  http://www.timbira.com/