Tom Lane wrote:
BTW, a possible hole in this scheme would be if a user could supply a
conninfo string that was intentionally malformed in a way that would
cause a tacked-on pgpassfile option to be ignored by libpq.  We might
need to add some validity checks to dblink, or tighten libpq's own
checks.

If we push the responsibility back to dblink, we might as well export conninfo_parse() or some wrapper thereof and let dblink simply check for a non-null password from the very beginning.

Or perhaps we should modify conninfo_parse() to throw an error if it sees the same option more than once. Then dblink could prepend pgpassfile (or ignore_pgpass) to the beginning of the connstr and not have to worry about being overridden. Not sure if the backward compatibility hit is worth it though.

Joe