Joe Conway wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:
Refactoring doesn't seem like an easy way to fix this, because of the
problem that the behavior of pulling up defaults is part of the API
specification for PQconndefaults().

Thoughts?

Hmm, I could have sworn I looked for that, and saw it elsewhere. Anyway, you are obviously correct.

conninfo_parse() is presently only called from a few places -- maybe we should have conninfo_parse() really just parse, and create a new conninfo_get_missing() or some such that fills in missing values?

Maybe better:

static PQconninfoOption *
conninfo_parse(const char *conninfo, PQExpBuffer errorMessage,
               bool fill_defaults, bool *password_from_string)

There are only three call sites including the new one. The two originals could use fill_defaults == true, and PQconninfoParse could use false.

Joe