Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Otherwise, looks good.

> OK. Should we backpatch this? Arguably it's a build bug.

Yeah, probably.

> (Also it would be good if someone were to whisper in the ears of the
> Fedora people that removing ExtUtils::Embed entirely from their Perl
> packaging is a dumb thing to do. This is a standard Perl module, that
> one would normally expect to accompany every Perl distribution.)

So far as I can tell, Fedora has treated ExtUtils::Embed as a separate
RPM for a long time (at least since F-7).  The recent change seems to be
that it's not required by perl-devel anymore, rather by perl-core (where
perl-core is defined as "everything in the upstream tarball from
perl.org").  So possibly it's just a matter of users not getting the
word as to what they should install.