> What fun.  I'm beginning to remember why nobody has ever managed to deliver
> a community tool that helps with this configuration task before.

I have to say I really like this tool.  It may not be perfect but it's
a lot easier than trying to do this analysis from scratch.  And we are
really only arguing about a handful of settings.

It wouldn't take a lot to convince me that checkpoint_segments=3 is
too low.  I easily blew through that testing the bulk-insert tuning
patch.  I'm curious why wal_buffers is being set to 512 *
checkpoint_segments.  Are they related?  The default value for
wal_buffers is only 64 kB, which means someone thought you shouldn't
need much space for this at all, but this suggests a setting in the
4-32 MB range, an increase of ~2 orders of magnitude.  For all I know
that could be right but it's a big increase.

Regarding the religious war now in progress, I think it would be
awfully good for someone to offer some thoughts on how to figure out
which particular columns on which particular tables need a higher
statistics target.  That might allow us to either (a) build a wizard
that helps you find those problems that could perhaps be used
alongside this one or (b) incorporate those same smarts into core.

...Robert