Joshua D. Drake wrote:
On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 13:23 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
But wasn't I just reading something about having to wipe that repository
and re-import the CVS history to fix various problems?
Not sure; I hope not.

Actually yes we did. There was a bug in git-cvs that we fixed. Its is
talked about here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2008-12/msg00182.php

But... that wasn't really the fault of git.

FWIW, we didn't "wipe the repository". For some reason, the CVS->GIT script decided to duplicate the whole history three times in the GIT repository. We only wiped the extra copies, and the commits done after the screw up.

So the screwed-up repository looked like this:

Where A, B, C are commits made before the screwup, A' etc. are extra copies of the same commits, and D and E are commits that were imported after the screwup.

The repository was fixed into:

So the history up to C remained the same, but commits D and E were re-imported, and therefore had their commit ids changed.

We don't know why this happened, so there's no guarantee that it won't happen again. At least we have a procedure to fix it now..

--
  Heikki Linnakangas