Bruce Momjian wrote:
Andrew Chernow wrote:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
Andrew Chernow wrote:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
Ah, OK, so it does its own cleanup on last close, great. I agree a
connection option for this would be good.

What would the option be? "wsainit = [enable | disable]"? Maybe it should allow setting the version to load: "wsa_version = 2.0". Maybe the two should be combined: "wsa_version = [default | disable | 2.0]".
I assumed it would be like SSL, which is a libpq function call, not a
connection option, e.g. PQinitSSL(), and I think true/false is probably
enough.  PQinitSSL info:

   If you are using <acronym>SSL</> inside your application (in addition
   to inside <application>libpq</application>), you can use
   <function>PQinitSSL(int)</> to tell <application>libpq</application>
   that the <acronym>SSL</> library has already been initialized by your
   application.

That smells dirty to me. How many PQinitXXX() functions are needed before we drop the XXX and run with PQinit(...)?

Odds are you would still need per-library control over initialization so
I am not sure that helps, i.e. the library initialized WSA already but
needs SSL.

That's fine.  I solved that issue here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-01/msg01349.php

One of arguments is an "options" bit mask. PG_OPT_LOADSSL, PG_OPT_LOADWSA, etc... I also suggested a "int inittype, void *initdata" arguments that can be used now or for future expansion; that way PQinit is not limited to a single int argument. This could be used right away with the PG_OPT_LOADWSA idea, to pass the wsa version you want.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC