Tom,

BTW, does pg_dumpall know to dump ALTER USER SET settings attached
to built-in roles (such as the proposed "autovacuum" role)?  I'd bet
it doesn't do that.  Even if it does, that seems like a more awkward
way to push settings over to a new installation than copying your
postgresql.conf file.

Simon's idea of "profiles" sounds worth pursuing to me, but clearly
it's not happening for 8.4.

I don't see why having a *separate* concept of profiles in addition to the ROLES is helpful. It seems like building a whole new house when all we really need is to expand the garage.

--Josh