Brad Nicholson wrote:
> > When you say "corrupted", I assume you mean you have remove the _old
> > suffixes to restart your 8.3 instance, right?  I hope that is the only
> > corruption issue --- please confirm.
>
> Unfortunately no - when I try and start the old version, I get:
>
> pg_ctl -D pgsql83/ start
> postgres: could not find the database system
> Expected to find it in the directory "/opt/DATA/pgsql83",
> but could not open file "/opt/DATA/pgsql83/global/pg_control": No such
> file or directory
>
> I am specifying both new and old paths to pg_migrator, as I don't have
> my data directories in standard locations.
>
> Test case is pretty straight forward.
>
> Create an 8.3 instance
> Add dblink
> follow through the pg_migrator upgrade path
> try and start your 8.3 instance after the failure

Uh, I assume you read all of the INSTALL instructions, including the
last item:

        10.  Reverting to old cluster

-->     If you ran pg_migrator _without_ --link or did not start the new server,
        the old cluster was not modified except that an ".old" suffix was
        appended to $PGDATA/global/pg_control and tablespaces directories.  To
        reuse the old cluster, remove the tablespace directories created by the
        new cluster and remove the ".old" suffix from the old cluster tablespace
        directory names and $PGDATA/global/pg_control; then you can restart the
        old cluster.

I just modified the arrow text to be clearer.  The rename of
pg_controldata is done to prevent accidental starting of the old cluster
in case of migration success.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <br...@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us