Andrew Dunstan wrote:

OK, the fly in this ointment turns out to be MSVC. The latest flex from GnuWin32 is 2.5.4a, and building 2.5.35 for Windows is turning out to be quite a pain. Luckily, MinGW has a pre-built modified 2.5.33 available, and I have installed this (also needed msys-regex), and then I jury rigged my MSVC build to use it, so we still have one MSVC working OK in the buildfarm. But we can hardly ask people to install MinGW/MSys so they can build with MSVC, that's horribly ugly. I'll work on getting version 2.5.35 build for Windows in a way that works standalone, and push it somewhere (maybe the dev wiki).

Well, it looks like there's a reason GnuWin32 hasn't advanced beyond 2.5.4a - after that the flex developers proceeded to make flex use a filter chain methodology that requires the use of fork(). Making it run on Windows without the support of Msys or Cygwin would involve some significant surgery, I suspect.

Maybe for the time being we need to think about keeping scan.c in CVS. It's not like scan.l gets updated all that often.

cheers

andrew