On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Dimitri Fontaine<dfonta...@hi-media.com> wrote:
> Le 11 août 09 à 23:30, Robert Haas a écrit :
>
>> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Dimitri Fontaine<dfonta...@hi-media.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> We should somehow provide a default archive and restore command
>>> integrated
>>> into the main product, so that it's as easy as turning it 'on' in the
>>> configuration for users to have something trustworthy: PostgreSQL will
>>> keep
>>> past logs into a pg_xlog/archives subdir or some other default place, and
>>> will know about the setup at startup time when/if needed.
>>
>> I might be missing something, but isn't this completely silly?  If you
>> archive your logs to the same partition where you keep your database
>> cluster, it seems to me that you might as well delete them.  Even
>> better, turn off XLogArchiving altogether and save yourself the
>> overhead of not using WAL-bypass.
>
> Nice, the pushback is about the default location, thanks for supporting the
> idea :)
>
> Seriously, debian package will install pg_xlog in $PGDATA which is often not
> what I want. So first thing after install, I stop the cluster, move the
> pg_xlog, setup a ln -s and restart. I figured having to do the same for
> setting up archiving would make my day, when compared to current
> documentation setup. Any better idea for a safe enough default location is
> welcome, of course.

*scratches head*

I don't really know how you COULD pick a safe default location.
Presumably any location that's in the default postgresql.conf file
would be under $PGDATA, which kind of defeats the purpose of the whole
thing.  In other words, you're always going to have to move it anyway,
so why bother with a default that is bound to be wrong?

Maybe I'm all wet?

...Robert