On Sep 12, 2009, at 5:54 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
decibel wrote:
Speaking of concatenation...

Something I find sorely missing in plpgsql is the ability to put variables inside of a string, ie:

DECLARE
v_table text := ...
v_sql text;
BEGIN
v_sql := "SELECT * FROM $v_table";

Of course, I'm assuming that if it was easy to do that it would be done already... but I thought I'd just throw it out there.

Then use a language that supports variable interpolation in strings, like plperl, plpythonu, plruby .... instead of plpgsql.

Which makes executing SQL much, much harder.

At least if we get sprintf dealing with strings might become a bit easier...
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  deci...@decibel.org