Andrew Dunstan escribió:

Albe Laurenz wrote:
Dear hackers,

I have been thinking about ways to have PostgreSQL reject
weak passwords.

I think the standard recommendation is "use PAM and LDAP",
but that requires the user to change the password outside
of PostgreSQL. And who would want to setup and maintain an
LDAP server just for this?

Since everybody has different ideas what is a good password,
there should be some way to configure that. I've looked at
how Oracle does it, and they simply let you write a
stored procedure that throws an exception if it doesn't
like the password.
Since users are on cluster level and functions live in
databases, that won't work in PostgreSQL.

I have come up with an idea or two and like to hear your
opinion.

1) One could have a set of GUCs like min_password_length,
   min_password_nonchars and similar that everybody
   could configure. This is not extremely flexible though.
2) Another idea would be a GUC that contains a regular
   expression that a password may *not* match.
   Perhaps that's too limiting too.
3) I have also considered a GUC that points to a loadable
   module that performs the password check if set.

My vote is for #3, if anything.

cheers

andrew

You have to analyze all points before to do this. I vote too for the third option, but you have to be clear that how do you ´ll check the weakness of the password:
1- For example: the length should be greater that 6 char..
2- The password should be have a combination fo numbers, letters and others dots

Things like that you have to think very well, or to do a question to the list asking which are the best options.

I think the same about the PAM and LDAP auth

Regards

--
"DBAs must implements decisions based on the best fit of the application,DBMS,
and platform

Ing. Marcos L. Ortiz Valmaseda
Línea Soporte y Despliegue
Centro de Tecnologías de Almacenamiento y Análisis de Datos (CENTALAD)

Linux User # 418229
PostgreSQL User
http://www.postgresql.org
http://www.planetpostgresql.org/