David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Sep 29, 2009, at 8:55 AM, Richard Huxton wrote:
>
>> For the browser, does the following match what you're after, Andrew?
>> - clicking chapter title opens the browser panel
>> - panel stays open until you click close icon
>> - panel contains collapsable tree of chapter/section headings
>> Alternatively, could just auto-open the browser panel if javascript is
>> enabled and window is wider than N pixels.
>
> Why wouldn't the entire TOC be in a collapsed list?

Permanently on-screen? My only concern there would be for people viewing
on phones etc.

>> In addition we'll presumably want to meet:
>> - no external js libraries (or do we care, if we just reference it from
>> google?)
>
> Save yourself the hassle and just bundle jQuery. That's what I've done
> for Pod::Site (module that builds the Bricolage API browser).

It's MIT licensed (well MIT+GPL) which is BSD compatible, but I don't
know if that's acceptable. It would be easier for me if it could be
bundled and presumably make it easier for other contributors in the
future too.

>> - navigation is optional, disabling js leaves docs as at present
>
> As long as there's a way to get the nav back from a link on each doc page.
>
>> - works on all reasonable browsers (anything not IE6)
>
> +1 (IE6--)
>
>> - works online and in downloaded docs (except Windows .chm of course)
>
> That'd be nice, too.

Offline is crucial as far as I'm concerned.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd