Robert Haas wrote:
On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Dimitri Fontaine <dfonta...@hi-media.com> writes:
I'll go search for more, meantime I'll just add the main goal of this
new thread is to have -hackers know there is a real user demand for
having EXECUTE set FOUND the same way it sets GET DIAGNOSTIC.
[shrug...]  There is also real user demand for not silently breaking
code that works now, which is what we risk anytime we change the set
of statements that can set FOUND.

We've had this discussion before and I'm still unpersuaded by your
position.  I *never* write "IF FOUND THEN" except immediately after
the statement where I expect that variable to be set, and I submit
that anyone who who does write code that relies on certain statements
not setting FOUND is, IMO, depending on a bug.  We don't and shouldn't
have a policy of making future PostgreSQL releases bug-compatible with
previous releases.

I agree that doing that is bad practice. I disagree that it's a bug. And if it is, and we change it, then locating all the places where the bug might occur will be a nightmare. In effect it means you'll need to review every single use of FOUND in your code (possibly hundreds of thousands or millions of lines) to make sure you're not accidentally relying on the behaviour. No thanks.

cheers

andrew