Tom Lane wrote:
> "Kevin Grittner" <kevin.gritt...@wicourts.gov> writes:
>> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>> LINE 1: SELECT 'aa' NOT SIMILAR TO 123;
>>>                                    ^
>
>>> LINE 1: SELECT 'aa' SIMILAR TO 123;
>>>                     ^
>
>>> I think the former error location is better.
>
>> So do I.
>
> Uh, why?  It looks like it's complaining about the constant 123,
> not about the operator.

The problem *is* in the constant 123. It's of wrong type for SIMILAR TO
operator. I guess your viewpoint is that the operator isn't correct for
the operands. Fair enough.

BTW, the corresponding error in the "SIMILAR TO ... ESCAPE ..." syntax is:

postgres=# SELECT 'aa' SIMILAR TO 123 ESCAPE 'f';
ERROR:  function pg_catalog.similar_escape(integer, unknown) does not exist
LINE 1: SELECT 'aa' SIMILAR TO 123 ESCAPE 'f';
                                   ^
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might
need to add explicit type casts.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas