--On 12. November 2009 15:23:06 -0500 Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> wrote:

What I and others have been arguing is necessary to do EOL right is a
serious amount of notice, by way of press releases etc. We can't expect
users to keep polling our web site to see if there's an EOL. That means
we need to prepare for an EOL months or a year in advance, ISTM.

I think that's the key argument here. We have several customers, which need a very careful and time consuming evaluation before they can go into production with a new platform, which is quite time consuming and needs significant preparation for them. Announcing an EOL early in time would give them the required time before the version used disappears.

--
Thanks

        Bernd