On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <g...@turnstep.com> wrote:
>> And yes, i'm +1 for having a rule for EOL, like "5 versions are
>> supported".
>
> If we released on a consistent schedule, this *might* be possible.
> But we don't, so we can't say something like this.

We've already done this. I think we said three years but I'm too lazy
to go search right now. It's as meaningless now as it was then. The
reality is we back branch as far back as is convenient and stop when
we run into a major problem that isn't fixable in old versions. 7.4
and even 8.0 are already "EOL" in the sense that they're past your
arbitrary cutoff and there's no guarantee that we'll keep releasing
fixes but there's no particular reason to stop yet.

Really I think you guys are on the wrong track trying to map Postgres
releases to commercial support terms. None of the Postgres releases
are "supported" in the sense that there's no warranty and no promises,
it's all best effort. If you want a promise of anything then pay
someone for that service.

As with any open source software if you're running 7-year-old versions
of the software you can't seriously expect the developers to take any
interest in bugs you discover which don't affect current releases.
Other projects don't release back branches at all. The most the
developers are likely to do if your bugs require serious engineering
is declare that the version you're using is too old.

--
greg