Hi Greg and Fujii,

Just a point on terminology:  there's a difference in the usage of
semi-synchronous between DRBD and MySQL semi-synchronous replication, which
was originally developed by Google.

In the Google case semi-synchronous replication is a quorum algorithm where
clients receive a commit notification only after at least one of N slaves
has received the replication event.  In the DRBD case semi-synchronous means
that events have reached the slave but are not necessarily durable.  There's
no quorum.

Of these two usages the Google semi-sync approach is the more interesting
because it avoids the availability problems associated with fully
synchronous operation but gets most of the durability benefits.

Cheers, Robert