Certainly that would be nice, given that UTF-16 is the "native" encoding for
Java, C#, Visual Basic.net, JDBC, ODBC drivers >= ver 3.5,  Microsoft Windows
(all system calls use UTF-16, with a compatibility layer for old apps), and
apps that Postgres users might switch from, such as MS SQLServer.

But for the short term, a warning or error saying we don't support it is better
than a confusing lexer error or syntax error.