On fre, 2009-11-20 at 08:39 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> 2009/11/20 Peter Eisentraut <pete...@gmx.net>:
> > On fre, 2009-11-20 at 02:41 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >> Is there any actual reason why we are building without thread safety
> >> by default on most platforms?
> >
> > Consistent defaults on all platforms?
>
> So why do we have largefile enabled by default? And zlib? And readline?

Let me be more verbose:  I would assume that we want the configure
defaults to be the same on all platforms.  We fail by default, for
example, if zlib and readline are not there, but you can turn them off
explicitly.  If we turn thread-safety on by default, we will/should fail
if thread-safety is not supported, requiring the user to turn it off
explicitly.  If enough platforms don't support thread-safety, this could
become annoying.

I don't have a good overview over how many platforms would be affected,
and I could in general support changing the default, but I'm just laying
down one possible constraint.